Saturday, November 30, 2013

Tree nymph free form sketch


Normally, I'm quite a structure nut when it comes to my designs. I use circles, squircles and other shapes to build my designs from the inside out. This sketch has absolutely zero structure in it and was designed based on pure intuition/experience. The technique is called "free form sketch" and I learned it from my mentor, Charles Zembillas, from The Animation Academy. Charles is the original designer for well-known game characters such as Crash Bandicoot, Spyro the dragon and Jack and Daxter to name a few. Free form sketch is drawing from the gut in a permanent medium, such as pen or marker. It really helps to build confidence and it's a lot of fun too once you get into it. I strongly suggest anyone out there give it a try! See the design in your mind and draw with confidence : ) By the way, if anyone's curious about The Animation Academy, please follow this link to learn great skills from great artists: http://www.theanimationacademy.com/

To see work from Charles himself, follow this link to his blog: http://zembillas.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment